Re: [OT] EMC as a performance system (was Re: Install and RAID)

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 09:08:25PM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Adam> No, but mainframe-like mega-IO systems such as EMC and
>     Adam> NetApp are.
>
> EMC does not supply mega I/O bandwidth.  A standard EMC has two
> physical channels between it and the system it supports and, on the
> far side the cache controller, has nothing better than SCSI-2
> connecting disk strings together.  It also, as someone else mentioned,
> uses very large drive sizes making any sort of data partioning next to
> impossible.

I don't know what model you worked with, but the Symmetrix I worked with had
8 SCSI channels (2 4-channel cards) with room for 8 more.  You could also put
2-channel fibre-channel cards in for a total of 8 fibre-channel interfaces.
These channels could be bound together on the host via a program called EMC
Powerpath.  And this was a lower-end EMC. (It only had around 300 gigs)

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>