Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 12:39:48PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> How about changing policy to make all existing maintainers subject to
> the same rules that would apply if they were joining today.

You just don't get it do you (and no you're patently not alone in that),
in whatever sense you care to look at it *we all were*.

Everyone with a key in the keyring was at somepoint deemed by the
existing developers to be valuable enough to the project to spend
the time (and money in the case of those of us who received phone
calls from places where overseas calls are not cheap) required
to integrate us into the web of trust which in many ways is *all*
that separates Debian from your average trojan-laden warez site,
and is a large part of what separates Debian from your average,
bug-laden, poorly thought out, Linux Distribution.

Sure Debian is an elite distribution[1], and as one of the many
developers who's everyday productivity depends on the quality of
work by other volunteer developers, I sure as hell hope it never
degrades to popular mediocrity.

Debian is not a fscking democracy, it is, quite simply, the most
kick ass collection of well maintained software on the planet.
(and yeah, it's a diverse collection of crackpots hell bent on
pushing that goal to ever higher levels too :)

Anyone with enough spare time to piss and moan for days on end
about not being able to contribute without actually contributing
anything when there is obviously so much that needs to be done
which they could actually be doing[2], obviously hasn't cottoned on
to what's really going on here.

If you just want to be part of something popular, go get your
genitals pierced or something ...

I fully support this proposal (full disclosure: I've been thinking
of proposing something similar myself, but wanted to wait until the
whiners had exhausted themselves and -devel was readable again).

Thank you for bringing it to my attention,

  Ron

[1] for some values of elite.
[2] and hence having people eager to get them into the keyring
    as quickly as possible.