Re: Install and RAID

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 01:15:36AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> Ah, those are opinions :)
>
> Look, if you like software raid, more power to you.  I've used it,
> it's cool, it has its uses.  Hardware raid also works, is cool, and
> has its uses.  I've solved problems with hardware raid that at the
> time could not be solved using software raid (like raid 0 on a bunch
> of big fast disks for a news server).
>
> I will admit that I'm probably thinking of higher end, mission
> critical stuff.  One size doesn't fit all, which I thought was Adam's
> original point as well.

Whenever I see someone say something like, "Yeah, we can just make it run as
one disk in degraded mode", I get scared.  Personally, if I was installing
Debian and I found out that it was trying to do that, I would remove the
CD-ROM, throw it in the garbage, and go out and buy redhat.

We don't need these types of hacks in our install, which benefit a small
minority of the people installing Debian.  If someone is setting up a box, we
should give them credit for knowing whether they want RAID on it or not.

In my work, I try to avoid using software RAID if possible.  It has been my
experience that hardware RAID is faster and more reliable.  If someone
disagrees with that, please provide some evidence to the contrary.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>