Re: Install and RAID

On 26-Jan-01, 19:29 (CST), Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> On Monday 22 January 2001 17:04, Steve Greenland wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, what happens when I do a install with the RAID default, then
> > rebuild the kernel without RAID support...does it still work? Or do I
> > have to futz with the partition type? If the latter, I think making RAID
> > the default would be a bad idea.
>
> If you choose to mount the device /dev/hda1 or whatever instead of the RAID
> device then it'll work.

The problem is the "choose to mount" -- I have to go in and mess with
the fstab, or the lilo.conf, or somesuch. If I've never really paid any
attention to the RAID stuff (because I've only one disk partition), then
it's going to be a complete mystery to me why it won't boot.

> > OTOH, I think making "RAID capable" a install-time setup option is a
> > great idea, and off-hand (i.e. I have no real idea) doesn't seem like
> > significantly more work.
>
> Actually it is quite a bit of work.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the adding RAID support the install
would be easy, just that once that work is completed, adding the
question to the install "do you want to enable software RAID" wouldn't
be much additional work.

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read