Re: update excuses.. how to read them

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 11:55:57PM +0100, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> Sure. Or I might hack around it locally in debian/rules. Adding a cp+gzip
> is no big deal really. The thing is--I clearly see why the debhelper check
> actually makes tons of sense. In a native package there shall obviously be
> no separate Debian changelog. That's the whole point of being native. The
> question is rather how to deal with packages that are not native, but
> contain an upstream-merged debian/ directory, so there never a diff for
> the x.x.x-1 Debian revision (but there may be diffs for later revisions
> without an accompanying new upstream version)? Those packages a) do exist,
> and b) currently don't fit well in out packaging scheme. Suggestions
> welcome.

Well, if you ever needed to revise the code solely for the Debian package's
benefit, you would need a -2 version, a diff etc.

I think it would be easier to keep debian/* out of the upstream package
and maintain it separately.

I'm in an even messier situation.. I maintain the package aprsd.
I also maintain a non-Debian-specific patch to the upstream source;
I usually distribute it as a new .tar.gz. Should I:

1. Use the original upstream source as .orig.tar.gz, and then have
   all of my patches (including debian/*) in the .diff.gz? or

2. Use my replacement .tar.gz as .orig.tar.gz, and just have
   debian/* in .diff.gz?

I think #2 is the better option.. especially since I am currently
doing extensive work on it, including reformatting and restructuring
a whole lot of the code. The diff could contain more lines than
the original at this rate.

Hamish