From: Ben Collins [mailto:bmc@visi.net]On Behalf Of Ben Collins
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 10:30 AM
To: Bao Ha
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Modify a package

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:13:37AM -0500, Bao Ha wrote:
> I would like to modify a standard Debian package.
>
> I have been using dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc to rebuild it after patching.
> Unfortunately, it looks just like the same as the standard package and
> is overwritten everytime I do update.
>
> I have been using "=" in dselect to hold it.  But is there an easier way
> to do it?

When you modify the package, just before build, edit the debian/changelog.
You'll see a line at the top of the version number (e.g 1.0.2-1). Just
add a 1: in front of it (e.g 1:1.0.2-1). If there is already
number-colon (or epoch as it is called), then increase the number by one
(e.g. 1: to 2:).

Ben