Re: ITP: streamripper

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:00:26PM -0600, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> > There might be a possible license issue that I will try to clarify or
> > solve with the upstream author. There are files in the source that I
> > guess are from mpg123 which is non-free... :(

BTW, any project that uses code from mpg123 could likely get the exact same
code from xmms. Back when xmms was called x11amp, the authors negotiated a
deal with the author of mpg123 to relicense certain files under the GPL.

> Ok, I talked with the author, and the code is from LAME. Are there any
> legal experts that can help us? As LAME is GPL there shouldn't be any
> license problems, but how about patent problems? Can anybody help us?

layer 3 encoding patent issues are a PITA. If possible, use vorbis audio
compression instead. Not only does it avoid the patent issues, but in many
cases the resulting files are smaller play back at higher quality than the
average mp3.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com