Package pools, distributions, and the bug tracking system

This is in regards to bug #81660 (libc6 postinst not working as expected
on file-rc systems, potato->woody upgrade).

The bug was filed (and closed) on 2001-01-09. I had submitted a patch
against the postinst to make it consistantly handle file-rc, and Ben
mentioned that it had been fixed in the latest version in sid and should
be making its way into woody Real Soon Now. Fine and good, a fixed
package has been released, and bug closed. Except...

The package does not appear to be in woody yet; I just upgraded my
remaining potato machine to woody, and the new postinst does not have
the file-rc fix. It's been said that the bug tracking system doesn't
take package versions or distributions into account, and it appears to
be running into occational trouble like here.. libc6 in woody has a
'fix it or pull it' sort of problem IMO (although WHO was the other
person using file-rc here? ;) but that's I believe up to the package
maintainer and release manager to decide.. However, the bug is still
there, and so the bug really ought to be open until the package which
fixes it is moved into woody.

At this point I find myself thinking in a circle and bring up the
issue.

-- Ferret