Re: Install and RAID

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Fabian Knittel wrote:

> >               But please make it optional -- once you wrote the code
> > that configures the raid partions, it's not hard to ask the user whether
> > to use it (and consequently use /dev/mdX to install the system on) or
> > not use it (and continue with /dev/hdXX or /dev/sdXX).

> Would it be possible to initialise new partitions with RAID
> support (i.e. reserve the extra space needed for RAID information
> at the end of the partition), but stick to direct /dev/hdXX
> access by default?

>From what's been said here, this certainly appears possible, and I think it's
a great compromise.  You lose just a little space at the end of the partition
(a few inodes worth?) for the RAID information, and leave open the possibility
of turning RAID on later.  So sure, make this behavior the default for new
partitions, but don't use /dev/mdXX for access by default.  I think RAID
support is a great new feature to have in the installer, but because it's a
new feature I don't think it should be the default yet.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer