Re: Package patch

     > Hi, Now that we have package pools, how about this for large
     > packages say > 1 MB. Or offen downloaded packages like libc6.

     > A patch file is included with the package. This patch would
     > update a package from the stable version to unstable. But less
     > downloading needed.

     > Some code would need to be added to check the users CDROM and
     > get the stable version. Then download the patch and apply.

     > Would be great for modem users like me.

rsync does that without the need to have common versions at both
ends. Any two files can be rsynced and the better the match, the less
download.

Theres absolutly no reason for patch files and I would argue against
them. They might be smaller, but you would need a lot of them and the
method, unlike rsync, is not selfrepairing.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: How would you patch two debs anyway?