Re: ITP: kdict

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 04:29:49PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> writes:
>
> > licence: I pondered a bit about it, but it seems to comform
> > to DFSG (opinions?)
>
> >         5. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of
> >         this Package. You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
> >         Package. You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However,
> >         you may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
> >         commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial)
> >         software distribution provided that you do not advertise this
> >         Package as a product of your own.
>
>      I don't think this is DFSG free.

Radovan left out too much of the context - this is the Artistic license
(and is so named on the webpage.) It's one of the example DFSG-free
licenses mentioned in the DFSG. (This gets accepted because reasonable
copying fee is defined above to be whatever the market will bear.) I
wouldn't just include a link to /usr/share/common-license/Artistic, though,
because they're using a slightly older version of the Artistic. Just
download the LICENSE file from the website, and don't cut off the
definitions, since they're an important part of the license.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Recovering from a hard drive "crash" - website down