Re: Install and RAID

On Monday 22 January 2001 11:04, Brian May wrote:

>     Ola> That can be solved. You can (probably) find the kernel on the
>     Ola> "usual" device, /dev/hdxn or similar. That is after all
>     Ola> (almost) an ordinary partition.
>
> I assume you mean with RAID1, where you can assume that each mirror
> contains a complete copy of the entire file system.

Yes.

> I was told that doing this is bad: you have to hard code the mirror
> device into Grub. What if this device is the one which happens to
> fail?
>
> Then again, I am not sure I understand how lilo solves this issue
> either.

OK.  If you have LILO set to install to /dev/md0 and the underlieing
partition is set as "active" in the partition table then either drive can be
used to boot if it is set as /dev/hda.  So you could remove a failed /dev/hda
and replace it with /dev/hdc (or whatever the mirror device was) and boot.

But really support for this isn't as good as it should be.  I aim to look
into these issues for both grub and LILO in the near future.

I want Linux to kill Solaris and AIX for all storage issues.  My long-term
plans are to work on the things that Solaris and AIX have but which Linux
lacks.  Booting from RAID devices is one area.