Re: update excuses.. how to read them

    Anthony> On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 04:04:03AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels
    Anthony> wrote:
    >> if i take for example:
    >> http://ftp-master.debian.org/~ajt/update_excuses.html adns
    >> 1.0-3 (low) Maintainer: Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@debian.org> adns
    >> is 27 days out of date! out of date on alpha: libadns0,
    >> libadns0-dev (from 0.8-2) out of date on i386: libadns0,
    >> libadns0-dev (from 0.8-2) there are up to date bins in i386
    >> also out of date on m68k: libadns0, libadns0-dev (from 0.8-2)
    >> there are up to date bins in m68k also out of date on powerpc:
    >> libadns0, libadns0-dev (from 0.8-2) there are up to date bins
    >> in powerpc also out of date on sparc: libadns0, libadns0-dev
    >> (from 0.8-2) there are up to date bins in sparc also not
    >> considered Does that mean that it is not considered because on
    >> alpha there are no up-to-date bins?

    Anthony> Since libadns0 and libadns0-dev seem to be out of date on
    Anthony> all architectures, it probably means they're not being
    Anthony> built anymore, and need to be removed from
    Anthony> unstable. Whether there are up to date bins on an arch is
    Anthony> more just to give a hint at what might be causing the
    Anthony> problem, rather than anything particularly important.

That seems a good explanation for that package, what about this:

     * heimdal 0.3d-5 (currently 0.2l-7) (low)
          + Maintainer: Brian May <bam@debian.org>
          + only 8/10 days old
          + out of date on m68k: heimdal-clients, heimdal-clients-x,
            heimdal-dev, heimdal-kdc, heimdal-lib, heimdal-servers,
            heimdal-servers-x (from 0.3d-2)
          + there are up to date bins in m68k also
          + out of date on sparc: heimdal-clients, heimdal-clients-x,
            heimdal-dev, heimdal-kdc, heimdal-lib, heimdal-servers,
            heimdal-servers-x (from 0.3c-4)
          + there are up to date bins in sparc also
          + not considered

So, is it up-to-date on m68k and sparc or isn't it? (I assume this
means unstable and not testing).

Am I too imply that heimdal-docs gets installed straight away as it is
"Architecture: all", and doesn't require compiling?

Will these packages install in testing in 2 days time, or will the
out-of-date stuff cause problems? How do I find out why it isn't
getting compiled?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>