Re: long term goals of debian membership

On Jan 19, J?rgen A. Erhard wrote:

>     Chris> [Vain attempt to move to -project]
>     Chris> On Dec 03, Brian Mays wrote:
>
>     >> Take dpkg, for instance.  We don't let just anybody work on
>     >> that code.  It is far too important to trust to just anybody.
>     >> Ian Jackson was careful to guard it against tampering by
>     >> unqualified hands, and he was correct to do so.
>
> Does this mean someone wanted to maintain it and was refused to do so
> because "the Developers" didn't deem them good enough?
>
> I'm not a developer, so I don't know what happened on -private, but
> AFAIK, there was nothing of the sort on -devel or some other important
> list.
>
> So, I consider this a smokescreen...
>
> [...]
>
>     Chris> But your general point is well-taken.
>
> Not from me...

You've redacted so much of the context I don't even remember what
general point Brian was making.  If you'd remind me, I might be able
to explain why it was well-taken :) Suffice it to say, it had nothing
to do with dpkg or anything on -private; my recollection is that iwj
treated dpkg as his personal fiefdom long after he stopped actively
working on it.  I don't think anyone other than iwj said "nobody but
iwj is trusted enough to work on this package"; rather, I think our
tradition of developer sovereignty may have led to a breakdown in
active package maintenance.  IMHO of course.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> -  http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager (Physics & Astronomy, 125 Lewis, 662-915-5765)
Instructor, POL 101      (Political Science, 208 Deupree, 662-915-5949)