Re: apt and NFS...

On Thu 18 Jan 2001, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> [please Cc me, it's to much noise on the debian-devel list]
> I have /var/cache/apt as a symlink to a NFS mounted partition...

I have this:

wurtel:/var/cache/apt/archives on /var/cache/apt/archives type nfs

i.e. no symlink, just a direct mount. norootsquash of course.

> E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
> E: Unable to lock the download directory
> arne:~# touch /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
> arne:~# rm /var/cache/apt/archives/lock

Meetoo.
It's not the creation that's the problem, is the locking.
File locking over NFS has always been a problem...

Instead of trying to fix NFS locking, I took the pragmatic approach and
replaced the /var/cache/apt/archives/lock file with a symlink to e.g.
/var/tmp/apt-archives-lock, and since then it works just fine.

Just remember not to try to download the same package at the same time
on different systems :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/