/etc/libnss-ldap.conf (was Re: use and abuse of debconf)

Davide Puricelli <apurice@tin.it> writes:

> I'm making a new version that will ask you a question for all the values you can
> have into /etc/libnss-ldap.conf.

You've completely missed the point.  The problem is that changes made
to the file outside debconf are not preserved when the package is
reconfigured or upgraded.

I see the value in having a consistent and familiar interface (debconf
dialogs) presented to users when they install the package, but frankly
it's doing much more harm than good for me at the moment.  I don't
want to have to call dpkg-reconfigure every time I want to change
libnss-ldap.conf!  Please just make this file a conffile, and be done
with it.

Would it be possible to have debconf available for the first time the
package is installed, and never interfere with the file again?  (By
testing if the file is the same as the one shipped inside the .deb via
a checksum, for example.)

jason
--
``Banks *are* bastards.'' -- John Laws