Filenames too long

Hello and good evening.

Now I have my POTATO-BOX and I have gotten new problems with
too long filenames...

OK, I need to install mc and must do that with Floppys for the first time.
Normaly no problem because the Floppy has a minixfs and the directory /utils
with mc and mc-common... but the minixfs can not handel filenames longer as
30 Characters.

Now I can not create the Packages File on the Floppy, because it ends on *.d

And then I was looking on my POTATO-Mirror and there are many Packages with
filenames longer then 30 Characters.

My Question is:    Who is responsable for this  ???

Now I must do all two times... rename files, copy...)

Thanks in advance
Michelle