Re: package pool and big Packages.gz file

On 7 Jan 2001, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> Actually the load should drop, providing the following feature add
> ons:
>
> 1. cached checksums and pulling instead of pushing
> 2. client side unpackging of compressed streams

Apparently reversing the direction of rsync infringes on a patent.

Plus there is the simple matter that the file listing and file download
features cannot be seperated. Doing a listing of all files on our site is
non-trivial.

Once you strip all that out you have rproxy.

Reversed checksums (with a detached checksum file) is something someone
should implement for debian-cd. You calud even quite reasonably do that
totally using HTTP and not run the risk of rsync load at all.

Such a system for Package files would also be acceptable I think.

Jason