Re: alert about ncurses maintainer

Stefan Rieken wrote:
> The problem is, that the update_excuses list (and packages.debian.org
> too) list Joel Klecker as the maintainer of ncurses. As the DWN editor,
> you'll probably recall that Joel (Joey) is - sadly enough - not alive
> anymore; they made Potato a tribute to him when it was released.

Package: libncurses5
Section: base
Installed-Size: 428
Maintainer: Joel Klecker <ncurses-maint@debian.org>

Joel's name is in the maintainer field, but notice that the email
address is ncurses-maint@debian.org. I'm told that mail to that address
goes to at least two other debian developers. One of whom made this
upload:

 -- Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:52:34 -0500

I guess the people behind ncurses-maint may want to remove Joel's name
from there at some point. CC'd to them.

> You'll understand now, why I feel that him still being maintainer of
> ncurses and accompanying packages (only the libc5 versions have other
> maintainers) is a little bit of a painful mistake.

The only package in unstable that is listed as being maintained by Joel
aside from the ncurses packages mentioned above are:

Package: ksymoops
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 348
Maintainer: Joel Klecker <espy@debian.org>

Which Adam Heath or Robert Paris will take over (they're fighting it out
as I type).

[ Other random pages on the debian website may list Joel as maintaining
  other things; that is because some of them pay attention to stable, not
  unstable. ]

--
see shy jo