Re: bugs + rant + constructive criticism (long)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Craig Sanders wrote:

> > > Why should I, when it would be no different from my From: header?
> >
> > It would be in your case:

> no, that would make it difficult for people to reply privately to him.
>
> Mail-Followup-To is the correct header to use.

Mail-Followup-To isn't even a registered header!  The closest thing to a
registry that RFC822 implies is in the hands of SRI International is

http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/ietf/mail-headers/

(jpalme is as much of a member as one can be of the IETF RFC822 WG)

which says that a "Followup-To:" header is from RFC 1036, but RFC 1036 is
for USENET messages, not email.  The only thing I can think of is that
somebody liked the usenet idea of the followup-to: and just appended a
mail on it.  Just because somebody breaks the standards does NOT mean that
everybody should.

> > The difference between pine and mutt is that you KNOW the overflows in
> > pine....
>
> incorrect, again. the difference between mutt and pine is that mutt is
> a decent piece of free software that works and follows the relevant
> standards, while pine is a broken piece of non-free shit which doesn't.

Horsefeathers!  The Mail-followup-to: header is NOT a part of the relevant
standards!

--
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.