Re: Offline mail reader for several lists

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:35:33 +0100, Nils Rennebarth <nils@ipe.uni-stuttgart.de> said:
>On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 03:45:18PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> Try fetchmail.
>I know fetchmail, but can't see how it will help.
>
>I could maybe (tips how?) use fetchmail to check all folders to which
>procmail delivers mail and forward the new ones home, deleting them on the
>work machine. But at home I may want to delete (most of) the new messages,
>keep a few in the different folders, maybe even administer my folders at
>home, moving a few messages around and then write back the changes to the
>folders to my work machine.

I don't think you understand the mail process. Maybe you do, but here
is how I believe it works by default:

The mail is stored in a POP3 server.

Your machine downloads the mail from that POP3 server with fetchmail.

Fetchmail sends that mail to your local MTA.

Your local MTA pipes each message to procmail with your username.

Procmail writes the mail to disk.

You read the mail with mutt.

What this guy was saying is that you should call fetchmail to get your
mail from the pop3 server, when fetchmail is done, disconnect. Sending
mail is a different story and depends on your MTA.

Does this make sense?