Re: dh_shlibdeps problem

Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> writes:

> On 00-12-01 Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> > Petr Cech <cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> > > no. it should read "if it contains arch specific packages"

> > > if it has no binary packages so why put it there in the first place?
>
> > There are scenarios where this could be useful:
> > - you don't know if shared libraries needed
>
> How should this happen? If you build the binaries, you will normally
> notice if shared libs are necessary or not. Can you please give an
> example where you don't know it?

Joe Drew provided an example.

> > - you use dh_perl and ${perl:Depends} and upstreams remove
> >   the only Perl script
>
> Then you should remove this calls. As you should test and check your
> package before uploading it to the archive, you will get to notice and
> fix this.

Sure I notice this, but why I should do unneeded extra work
(dpkg-gencontrol can easily remove this).

> > After all, data processing
> > - should be liberal to the format of user input
> > - very strict in its own input
>
> > So, if dpkg tools complain over missing newlines at EOF,
> > empty package names in depends, empty newlines at end
> > of control files (with a confusing error message),
> > they are unnecessarily annoying.
>
> No, missing newlines can be very important and need to be fixed.

The only other tool I know of which expect a newline at EOF
is cron and _that_ is annoying too.

> Empty
> package names in depends normally show that something with your
> build-process is not set up correctly and needs to be fixed. Empty
> Newlines and the end of control-files should be removed as the unnessary
> increase the size of the control file and description of the package.

Can be done automatically.

Ciao
        Racke

--
LinuXia Systems && Cobolt NetServices, eCommerce and more
Shop- und Datenbanklösungen mit MiniVend, Firewalls auf Debian-Basis