Re: Driver detection and loading

Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 03:00:40PM -0500, Robert Young wrote:
> > > There are hardware autodetection packages out there. At least Corel, Stromix
> > > and Progeny (chronological order :-)) have one. And they should be open
> > > source too.

> > > I wonder if these packages will go back into Debian proper or need an
> > > additional Debian maintainer. Maybe the guys from Progeny and Stormix can
> > > comment on this. Anyone here from Corel?
> >
> >       Corel has created a modular detection system which detects system
> > hardware by probing what the kernel has found and by looking for
> > hardware itself. We are in the finishing stage and will be releasing it
> > to the open source community shortly.
> >
> >       In the meantime, please read the attached document for more
> > information.
>
> Progeny also has such a a program, designed to integrate nicely with an
> existing Debian system.  I don't know the details of the Corel program,
> but you can get discover from Progeny's archive now.  The package can be
> uploaded to Debian if it'd be useful.  It does require minor mods to the
> boot loader config (it uses an initrd) and to kernel-package as well if
> it's going to be fully automagic.
>
> --
> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>               GnuPG key 1024D/DCF9DAB3
> Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org/)         20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC
> The QuakeForge Project (http://quakeforge.net/)   44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3
>
> If you are what you eat, I guess that makes me a cheese danish.
>         -- Anonymous

	I should have said that our detection system has been in use for quite
some time, since Corel Linux v1.2; however, it is combined into our
corel_utils stuff. We are separating and packaging it as time permits.
Our system does use an initrd, and does work very nicely on a stock
Debian system.

	Having said that, Corel would like to open a sourceforge project to
create a detection system. If need be, we would be willing to start from
scratch and incorporate the best features of all involved parties.
Packaging issues aside, we believe a common detection system used
amongst all distributions would make it easier for hardware manufactures
to easily incorporate new devices into the system.

	Are there any comments or interest in this from Redhat, Debian,
Progeny, Caldera, Suse etc...

Robert S. Young