Re: X 4.0.1 what's the deal?

  actually dexter does quite good job. the problem is that the upgrade
of X does not install new server, at least it did not on my machine, so
I was left with 3.3.6 server, only after I ran apt-get install
xserver-xfree86 I got new server.

  all (most?) X 3.3.6 packages were upgraded to their 4.0.1 equivalents
except of x server, and the new server wasn't even installed (it took me
few hours to figure it out with the help of messages on the list).

  the install of xserver-xfree86 runs dexter which is farily easy, and X
was suddenly working (it added Driver "tdfx" and all the rest).

  but imagine my horror when I, while X was running, looked at the
config file and found NO modelines! just like those cartoon characters
that suddenly realize there's no ground under their feet:-)) then I
found in docs that there are implicit modelines for common modes now...
phew...

  but why are only very strange resolutions offered by dexter?

	erik