Re: Proposal: gopher.debian.org

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 12:00:28PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> The other cool thing is that a gopher site can be browsed like a
> filesystem.  Konqueror is already doing this.  There are some older
> Gopher browsers that might as well; I can look into packaging them
> up.
>
> So yes, you could navigate to gopher.debian.org, browse through the
> packages therein, double-click on one you like (or drag it to your
> home directory), and have it install itself.  Slick, eh?

Sounds like what the Hurd does for its living.

(I sometimes install packages via

dpkg -i /ftp/ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/*/package_*

and this is *not* a local mirror).

It makes sense to write a gopherfs for the Hurd (and it shouldn't be
too hard either, what a deal. At least you won't need to care much about
"mount" as the Hurd libs will do most of the work). For people interested in
(network) transparent filesystems, the Hurd is the ideal playground.

> Not bad, eh?

Not at all.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de