Re: X 4.0.1 what's the deal?

As far as kernel configs, what are you people using w/ the voodoo III
and xf86 4.0.1?  I have the following, and I get a lovely dead screen
(after running dexter) w/ kernel 2.4.0-test9:

fb: Voodoo3 memory = 16384K
fb: MTRR's  turned on
tdfxfb: reserving 1024 bytes for the hwcursor at c97ff000
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
fb0: 3Dfx Voodoo3 frame buffer device
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 96M
agpgart: Detected Via MVP3 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
[drm] Initialized tdfx 1.0.0 20000928 on minor 63

(in kernel config options:)
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_TDFX=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_3DFX=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y

3.3.6 worked fine w/ this; I assume 4 is using something specialized
that doesn't agree w/ it.  My guess would be the framebuffer.  What
about AGP, though, as well as DRM (ie, DRI support in X)?  Has anyone
had any luck w/ any of these?  I'd like to keep to as many kernel
recompiles as possible.. This k6-2 450 isn't quite the same as
the athlon 700 I had :/