Re: squid's async-io (was Re: Ancient squid and unattentive maintainer)

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 11:25:57AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> >Why was async-io needed on SMP?  Not using it on my SMP machine seemed
> >to speed things up tremendously.
>
> If you don't compile it with async-io, squid isn't threaded. That
> means that it runs as a single process on just one CPU. So the
> other CPU is 100% idle all the time and you might as well take it
> out, unless you have a lot of other stuff running on the same machine.

The dnsserver children and redirector children will still run in seprarate
process spaces, though, yes?  So there should still be some benefit gained by
the second CPU (not to mention kernel duties, and other user processes).

--
 - mdz