Re: Progeny Linux Systems Announces Progeny Debian Beta One

At 09:36 AM 11/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 09:08:20AM -0500, Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 02:55:38PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > Recommends rather than Depends so you can remove part of a task (which is
> > > something that is missing from Debian's tasks because apt ignores both
> > > suggests and recommends.)
> > Havn't dealt with apt internals but IMHO this could be possibly
> > implemeted by optional parameters, couldn't it?
>
> The correct solution would IMO be to install recommends by default, but
> leave suggests up to the front-end.

  And (this is important) to not keep yelling at the user about recommends
that aren't satisfied (unless, I suppose, they ask you to).  I think this is
probably the #1 complaint about dselect.

I think the main problem is that dselect treats recommends as overideable depends, and treats an unmet recommendation as if it were a conflict.

I wouldn't mind seeing behavior from apt-get something like so:

------------------
# apt-get --install foo
Package 'foo' depends on the following uninstalled packages:
  bar baz bat
These packages will be installed automatically

Package 'bar' conflicts with the following installed package:
  bar-old
This package will be removed automatically

The following package is recommended for this installation:
  quux
Install this package [Y/n] ? n

The following packages are suggested for this installation:
  fred phlegm
Install these packages [Y/n] ? y

The following packages will be INSTALLED:
  foo bar baz bat fred phlegm
The following package will be REMOVED:
  bar-old
Is this OK [Y/n]? Y

and so on. If a user then chose to install another package that did -not- recommend quux, he/she would not be asked about installing quux.

My feeling is that apt-get should work incrementally, not looking at global state unless specifically asked.

It would also be nice to have command-line options that could be used to fine-tune the above process: --show-recommends/--show-suggests would have the above behavior, --no-recommends/--no-suggests would assume "no" to installing recommended or suggested packages and not ask, --yes-recommends/--yes-suggests would assume "yes" to installing recommended or suggested packages and not ask.

I don't mind being asked repeatedly if I want to install quux everytime I install/reinstall a package that recommends quux. I'm uncertain about being asked repeatedly when I upgrade, though.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\ | After the game, the king and | | the pawn go in the same box. | | -- Italian proverb | \------------- Got APT? -- Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org ------------/