Re: sharefont package license sucks, even for non-free

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 09:45:16AM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> : THIS SOFTWARE IS SHAREWARE AND REQUIRES A PAYMENT FOR USE!!!
[...]
> But then the Debian maintainer wants a cut too!
>
> : If you actually pay money for one or more of the fonts in this
> : package then I expect to be cut in. For the work of putting
> : together this package I expect $10 or 10% of the fee paid to the
> : authors of the fonts whichever is higher.
> :
> : Send check to:
> :
> :         Christoph Lameter, FTS Box 466
> :         Pasadena, CA 91182
> :
> : Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>, October 6, 1996
[...]
> Should Debian resources be used to make a buck for maintainers?

No.

> Do we need policy against this sort of thing?

Yes.

What's more, any money that o-o makes from this half-baked enterprise will
probably be used to put people on URPE spam lists.  (Unsolicited Religious
Proselytizing Email).

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |        kernel panic -- causal failure