Re: I want to try something for freedom.

In Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:29:38 -0500 mheyes@lincolnfp.com cum veritate scripsit :

> DeCSS on Linux effectively disbles, as part of the decryption process, the
> zone controls on the the dvd disc. This allows someone in Finland, say,  to
> watch a dvd he purchased in the United States (or some other zone). This is
> what I meant when I said that it has more to do with a loss of distribution
> control. The MPAA loses the ability to control the timing of dvd releases
> in other zones.

This is bogus.

Even if zones were strictly controlled (as it is not ... for example,
some Sony playstation 2's  had a "bug") one can buy a DVD-player from another country
and use it. As simple as that.

# But IANAL, and I am not an American Citizen.

# can DeCSS be included in non-US, or losing a lawsuit in America
# automatically mean we can't do that in other countries? (I think that's
# not the case, but some information state otherwise, and I don't know how
# a decision made by American people can affect Japanese people).

regards,
	junichi

--
University: ti0113@mail4.doshisha.ac.jp    Netfort: dancer@netfort.gr.jp