Re: non-essential required packages

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 01:02:26AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> I can't see the point why it should be ESSENTIAL, what means that you
> can't remove it. If a package uses adduser in the postinst it can declare
> a dependency and i can't see the big problem with this.

There is no point for Essential: yes for adduser. Currently it is required
and we are speaking of lowering the priority, not making it higher... IMO
standard would be reasonable, but if anybody has other suggestions, tell me.
The other point is, if the section, currently base, is a good choice. IMO it
should be admin.

Btw, I am working on adduser 4 which is written in C and shell. It is much
more flexible and it is easy to change the authentification to LDAP, or
whatever you want, if the corresponding modules will be written. It doesn't
work yet at all, just a bit of code. I am currently developing it in a
private CVS repository. Would it make any sense to move it to cvs.d.o
sometime? What would I have to do? Ask a debian-admin to create a repository
for it?

Roland

--
Roland Bauerschmidt <rb@debian.org>