Re: non-essential required packages

On 01-Nov-00, 22:06 (CST), Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> My understanding of this is that the "required" priority is essentially
> equivalent to "essential: yes" and should be used only for packages which
> *MUST* be on every system for dpkg to work and other packages to be able
> to be installed. I don't think this is the case atm.

I think the difference is that dpkg (and apt?) do special handling
of the "essential: yes" packages (sort of like pre-depends), but not
those that are merely required. Or is the special handling only that it
requires a special effort to remove them?

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read