Re: I want to try something for freedom.

2.11.2000 pisze mheyes@lincolnfp.com (mheyes@lincolnfp.com):

> DeCSS on Linux effectively disbles, as part of the decryption
> process, the zone controls on the the dvd disc. This allows someone
> in Finland, say,  to watch a dvd he purchased in the United States
> (or some other zone). This is what I meant when I said that it has
> more to do with a loss of distribution control. The MPAA loses the
> ability to control the timing of dvd releases in other zones.

This claim is irrelevant, MPAA has _no_ control on the timing of DVD
releases.

> Currently, movie and dvd releases are released first in the US (US
> releases of course), and then months later in Europe. With the
> availablity of dvds for sale on the Internet, these could be
> purchased in the US months ahead of the scheduled release in Europe,
> Asia or wherever. So, the MPAA loses control of the timing of the
> releases, which is a loss of control of distribution.

In the meantime, let's look at the Real World. MPAA has no real control
of the timing of the releases, and many DVD drives / players have
disabled this ridiculous `zone control', or provide informations on how
to disable it. Even without using DeCSS code what can then stop, say,
polish DVD user, from purchasing some DVD films in USA? ;-)

Jubal

--
[ Miros/law L Baran, baran-at-knm-org-pl, neg IQ, cert AI ] [ 0101010 is ]
[ BOF2510053411, makabra.knm.org.pl/~baran/, alchemy pany ] [ The Answer ]

                       ,,Zaledwie przed chwilą
                         Radowałem się w wyobraźni
                         ale potem zacząłem myśleć''
                                          (L. Cohen)