Re: I want to try something for freedom.

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000 mheyes@lincolnfp.com wrote:

> I think the DeCSS suit has less to do with reverse engineering of the
> algorithms than it has to do with a loss of control of distribution. With
> regional zones effectively disabled, users in other zones are able to buy
> dvds from the States and view them before they are released in their zone
> (ie. Europe, Asia, wherever). Besides that, aren't there hardware licensing
> and fees issues as well?

As far as I know, DeCSS has nothing to do with control over distribution,
since that is enforced in hardware. You cannot play a DVD in your
DVD-drive if it is not compliant to the region setting of your DVD-drive.

DeCSS is a software which lets you play DVD-s on Linux. It was created
after reverse-engineering the communication between a Win32 DVD player
software and the DVD-drive. This is the same as writing an authentication
module for Linux after reverse-engineering the communication between an
authentication module for Win32 and the server, hence the same as the
scenario mentioned in the first letter of this thread.

Regards,

Robert Varga