Re: RFC: initscript policy proposal

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 03:03:55AM -0200, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > Because there is no guarantee that a non-sysv initscript system will work
> > 100% right if the /etc/init.d files are called directly. One of the benefits
> > of invoke-rc.d is abstracting the initscript-call layer so that deploying
> > such initscript systems is not impossible, just difficult :-P
>
> A "non-sysv initscript system"? Like filerc, that invoke-rc.d presumably
> already supports? Huh?

file-rc is sysv-like. I mean something much more exotic, such as an
initscript subsystem capable of dynamically fetching the init script from
somewhere else. invoke-rc.d allows that sort of stuff to be implemented if
invoke-rc.d is the only allowed way to call initscripts.

And file-rc is not supported by the invoke-rc.d I posted, it is supported by
the invoke-rc.d design. The file-rc package will divert invoke-rc.d and
supply its own, just like it does with update-rc.d.

> Actually, a better reason to insist on people using invoke-rc.d with
> --force would be to fix problems like those described in bugs like 10813.

Yes. One could easily add environment sanitization to invoke-rc.d, if one
wants to (and by all means, go ahead and do it :-) ).

> > > maybe-restart isn't really an option, no scripts implement it.
> > No, but any services which might benefit from it will, given the proper
> > amount of maintainer prodding by users who need it.
>
> I don't really think it's a good idea to call maybe-restart for scripts
> that don't implement it.

The initscript should just output an error if it is given an unsupported
action; if it does anything else, that's a bug.

Some rcS.d scripts don't pay attention to their arguments and always
"start", but they're not a problem. I just read all init.d scripts in my
system. All initscripts meant for rc{2,3,4,5}.d will act sanely if given a
maybe-restart action. I believe it is even agaist policy to do otherwise,
but I didn't bother checking.

> Perhaps it'd be better to have
> 	invoke-rc.d foo maybe-restart
> be the way of calling /e/i/foo maybe-restart so it won't get invoked
> when it's not supported?

I don't follow you. You can invoke-rc.d foo maybe-restart to call
maybe-restart directly, yes. It is the way to ask for a maybe-restart, yes.
What has that to do with using maybe-restart as the fallback action for
restart out-of-runlevel ?

  Henrique Holschuh