From: "Mark W. Eichin" <eichin@thok.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Cc: hartmans@mit.edu
Subject: ITP: transarc/IBM AFS
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:21:47 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: eichin@kuroneko.thok.org

package: wnpp
severity: normal

IBM announced at LinuxWorld the "Open AFS" release of AFS under the
IPL; relevant URLs include

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/
http://www.transarc.com

AFS is the "Andrew File System", as originally done at CMU and spun
off to Transarc which is mostly owned by IBM.  It has critical
features like volume migration, cryptographic security, access control
lists, and an online backup/cloning system that makes consistent
backups possible.  (It is the filesystem of choice at large
educational institutions.)  If you're familiar with CODA, this is the
commercialized predecessor; if you're familiar with Arla, this is the
thing with which it is compatible.

The source itself is supposed to be released in September 2000, that
is of course critical for this ITP.

			_Mark_ <eichin@thok.org>
			The Herd of Kittens
			Debian Package Maintainer