Re: webcalendars

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> > Bottom line: Debian is not yet ready for packaging of web applications
> >

> I think this statement has some truth. There is no infrastructure for web
> applications available in the Linux distributions, i.e. complicated install
> and deinstall scripts must be written. But usually this way a useful API is
> develoed after having experience with the problems.

Don't get me wrong: I don't think it's *impossible* to package web
applications, only that it's impossible to do it correctly with current
day Debian. Especially for complicated web-applications, which have
many scripts and need to know

a) where the files are
b) what the URLs are

As opposed to regular applications which need only know what URLS are
there.

Not only that, but we need some kind of policy: what part of the URL/Host:
namespace do we carve out for Debianized applications?

> And webrt in potato is an example for a pretty good integration of a web
> application into debian.

I'll have a look at webrt, but I still think the problem is less
technical, and the harder part, as always, is deciding policy.

PS.
As a professional web-developer, I'd love to use Debian to distribute
my applications, and it's bothered me for a long time that I can't.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez