Re: webcalendars

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 02:50:07PM +0200, Moshe Zadka wrote:

> Bottom line: Debian is not yet ready for packaging of web applications
>
> I wouldn't fault Debian, but rather the fact that web applications are
> not yet ready for hassle-free distribution.
> (How come most applications work with ./configure;make;make install, while
> each web application is "put this here, that there, change this to point
> to that, etc."?)

One way to approach this problem would be for the Debian maintainer to patch
the upstream code to use autoconf for path specifications, e.g.:

configure --with-docroot=/var/www --with-cgi-bin=/usr/lib/cgi-bin

...implying installation under /var/www/packagename and
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/packagename.  I am considering doing something like this for
Cricket.

--
 - mdz