Re: Policy conflict regarding templates as examples

Sam Hartman <hartmans@MIT.EDU> writes:

> According to policy 4.7.3 (behavior of configuration files), it is
> reasonable to install such templates in
> /usr/share/doc/package/examples, if they also serve as reasonable
> example configuration files.  However, according to 6.7, no program
> should reference examples.
>
> Should I interpret this as allowing my maintainer scripts to use the
> example files, but not the program during normal operation?

Hmm.  Section 6.7 is very strongly worded.  If you follow the advice
in 4.7.3, your postinst will call samspkg-configure or some such,
which will do the copy, and according to 6.7, samspkg-configure should
not reference the example.

Note that 4.7.3 does not say to put the template in
/usr/share/doc/package/examples; it says only to put it in
/usr/share/doc, tho it does call them "examples" and thus causes the
confusion.

I would suggest that you put the config file in
/usr/share/doc/samspkg/configfile.  But I think you might want to file
a bug against debian-policy and ask for some kind of official
interpretation.