Re: Bug Tags

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 10:51:06AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>     Anthony> Actually, "stable" is implied by the state of the
>     Anthony> archive, the version of the package a bug is filed
>     Anthony> against, and (possibly) the version/s of the package that
>     Anthony> fix the bug. It's reasonably feasible to just make the
>     Anthony> BTS do all this inferring itself, and not need a separate
>     Anthony> release tag at all.
> You need to be able to tell if it has been fixed or not, in unstable.
> IMHO there are three common questions:
>
> 1. user: what bugs exist in version x of package y?
> 2. user: will upgrading help? if I upgrade, do I need to upgrade to
> stable, or unstable to fix the problem?

Don't expect the BTS to be really all that useful to users asking these
questions. It's not at the moment. Hopefully it'll become more so,
but it's a non-trivial problem.

> 3. maintainer: what bugs exist in unstable that need fixing?  (note:
> by unstable, I mean the latest unstable, and you shouldn't have to
> reset all woody tags when woody is released)

4. release-manager: what bugs affect frozen/stable and need to be fixed?

Guess who the "stable" tag is meant to help...

> I think a better way to solve this would be an extra field, eg:
> open-for-versions: >=1.6-4, <<1.6-6
> fixed-for-versions: >=1.6-4.potato.0, <=1.6-4.potato.9

Perhaps. The correct way to do it is to have a list of "reported-in"
versions, and a list of "fixed-in" versions. The package in stable
has, say,, in its changelog, its version history: 1.1-1, 1.1-2, 1.2-1,
1.3-1. If a bug was "reported-in" 1.2-1, and fixed in 1.2-2, the bug
probably still exists in stable (since the changes in 1.2-2 seem to have
gone missing, and the bug wasn't "fixed-in" 1.3-1).

But this is all hypothetical. The code to implement this is non-trivial
and won't be happening in the near future.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark