Re: Possibly quite a few bugs?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:56:23PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > > ( ie echo "postrm called with unknown argument \`$1'" >&2 )
> >
> >   These are probably generated by debhelper
>
> No they arn't.
>
> > (I know that I didn't write this code by hand for aptitude..),
>
> Well then you copied it from someone, or used some template[1]. Debhelper
> clearly delimits all changes it makes to package scripts, and it does
> not contain the above text.
>
> Anyway, "postrm called with unknown argument \`$1'" is perfectly valid
> quoting in any posix shell that I know of, and I suspect the original
> reporter is confused; is probably using an editor that does not properly
> syntax highlight the scripts they are reading, and has not seen all the
> packages they listed break. In other words, they are jumping to
> very wrong conclusions on no evidence.
>
> On the other hand, I'm quote familiar with their actual problem:
>
> | I encountered a rather odd thing the other day, some documentation
> | links with dhelp were still present even though I had used
> | dpkg --purge to remove the package.
>
> It happens commonly when packages misuse dhelp in conjunction with the
> FHS transition that that package handles so poorly. The fix is generally
> to delete the crap dhelp leaves behind in /usr/doc in your preinst.
> r elsewhere. Here are some packages that already do that:
>
> joey@kite:~>grep dhelp /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.preinst
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/doc-base.preinst:    echo "removing old .dhelp files under /usr/doc/$package"
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/doc-base.preinst:    if [ -f /usr/doc/$package/.dhelp ]; then
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/doc-base.preinst:    dhelp_parse_fsstnd -d /usr/doc/$package/
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/doc-base.preinst:    rm -f /usr/doc/$package/.dhelp
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/doc-base.preinst:    if [ -f /usr/doc/$package/doc-base.html/.dhelp ]; then
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/doc-base.preinst:    dhelp_parse_fsstnd -d /usr/doc/$package/doc-base.html/
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/doc-base.preinst:    rm -f /usr/doc/$package/doc-base.html/.dhelp
< SNIP just a bit >
Truly sorry for all the confusion, now I am glad I didn't go off reporting
bugs against all those 'problems' I found.

True answer does lie right here. Upon closer inspection, it turns out
the particular packages I first spotted this with, realtimebattle and
darxite, both use /usr/doc/... instead of /usr/share/doc/... in their
respective doc-base files. So, even though they use debhelper to create
the linkage between /usr/share/doc -> /usr/doc and to install-docs
with doc-base, the doc-base files need updated along with 4 others on my
system. Much SMALLER than what I initially concluded. Thanks for the redir-
ection. Glad I asked here first.

Gordon Sadler