Two questions about policy

[Repost from debian-mentors]

Hi,

I was browsing policy to familiarize myself with it again, and I have two
questions:

1. I see no mention on rpath in the policy manual (grepping through all the
.html files) yet lintian issues a warning about it. I'm asking because I'm
packaging something that uses rpath heavily. The package I'm building build
libraries, then tools that use the libraries, and that's where the RPATH
comes into play. If I remove it, I have to invoke the tools with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set during the build. Is there another way?

2. The manual says that one should use -D_REENTRANT when building libraries.
Only libraries? Can I be enlightened on why it matters only for the
libraries? Also, is that still necessary? And lastly, should -D_REENTRANT be
always used or only if you have a library that uses threads (I guess
always...)

Thanks!
YA

--
My opinions do not necessarily reflect my company's.
The opposite is also true.