Re: wasted disk space

paul@murphy.nl (Paul Slootman) writes:
> I should have said that:
>
> 	echo {a,b,c,d,e}-{0,1,2,3,4}
>
> is a replacement for:

<snip nested for loop>

> which is a lot more to type and more prone to typos
> (eg. forgetting a semicolon somewhere).

But it's a lot more obvious what it's doing, too; looking at your echo
line, I haven't the foggiest what it does-- or at least I wouldn't if you
hadn't told me.  The difference between a talented hacker and a solid
programmer is how well they write code for the next human that reads it.
Unless it's a performance issue (in which case, why are you writing in
sh?), it's more important that the next programmer that reads the code
understand how it works.

-=Eric
--
Q:  How many Martians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A:  One and a half.