Re: New libc6 breaks exim?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 08:32:23PM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > Sendmail appears to have a similar problem.  Mail sent by a user gets
> > sent out, but some of the messages to root appear to get stuck in a
> > queue:
> >
> > e8QM2C130758     1912 Tue Sep 26 15:02 root
> >                  (Deferred: user database error)
> >                                        root
> >
> > newaliases won't run, either.
> >
> > I tried rebuilding sendmail but get a bunch of errors I haven't been
> > able to sort out yet.  I filed bug #72519 against sendmail, but don't
> > really have a handle on the problem.
>
> sendmail uses some options in netinet/ip.h that are no longer there. I
> assume from the glibc ChangeLog that they were not really meant to be
> used, and the newest sendmail (8.11.0 I know, possibly 8.10.x too) does
> not use them. It needs to be upgraded to compile with glibc again.

Bzzt.  Sendmail spent a lot of time trying to work with Glibc's broken
IPV6 support (I sent them many reports on this)...  The new Glibc totally
breaks Sendmail IPV6 support (at both 8.11.0 and 8.11.1Beta).

Once you get past that, you'll find that Sendmail can't build with SASL
because SASL libraries were built with the older DB2,  ditto for LDAP.

The only way to build a working sendmail is to turn off SASL, LDAP and
IPV6 support

> AFA db2 stuff, with glibc now in the dist, db3 should be coming shortly
> and things will hopefully start using it (db2 is such a load).

Good, DB3 has some fixes that help sendmail (locking iirc), but still,
we need to get *ALL* library packages built using it ASAP.

--
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon