Re: debian and multimedia

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:48:40PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> Have you tried the distmp3 package?  I have no personal experience with it; I
> only know that it exists.

  Rather than write a custom tool for batch encoding mp3's I'd suggest using
a general purpose batch system for your cluster.  GNU Queue (non-Posix)
and DQS (no commercial distribution) have been packaged.  PBS and GNQS are
also Posix-ish batch systems with free licenses (.. nudge ..).

   For example, to use DQS, vorbis, grip, and cdparanoia add something like
the following to .grip:

ripexename /usr/bin/cdparanoia
ripcmdline -d %c %t:[.%b]-%t:[.%e] %f
mp3exename /usr/local/bin/vorbqueue
mp3cmdline %o %f
delete_wavs 0

where vorbqueue is just a wrapper that submits the vorbize and rm .wav
commands to the queue system and immediately returns.  As far as your ripper
is concerned the conversion has already taken place and you can start
ripping the next CD right away.  If you have multiple machines and a large
shared filespace you can even rip on several machines at once and not worry
about where the encode is done - the only queue limit is the diskspace to
store the unencoded tracks between rip-time and encode-time.

vorbqueue
---------
#!/bin/sh

qsub << EOF