Re: apt and multiple connections

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> for whatever reason that the server being used could only supply 3 KB/s,
> then the client still has 2KB/s of available bandwidth that isnt being
> used. This 2KB/s could be supplied by a different mirror to download the
> same file.

Or the user could just pick a good mirror to start with - we do have 140
of them.

> The bandwidth being supplied by any number of servers to any 1 client
> will never be more than that clients bandwidth.
> If a client uses 1/3 of its bandwidth on each of 3 servers it eats no
> more bandwidth from the collective servers than if it downloaded from
> only 1 at full speed.

Using 1 server the clients bandwidth tends to be throttled by latency and
other network conditions. With a modem this is not an issue, with DSL and
Cable users it really, really is. A typical DSL/Cable user may only get
30% utilization of their very wide pipe, if they start using multiple
connections to get around that then we may start seeing upwards of a 3x
increase in bandwidth demands on our mirrors!

Also, most broadband users don't have a problem fetching even our largest
packages so threaded gets are not worthwhile. Modem users just have to
find a mirror close enough to keep their modem busy.

Jason