Re: apt and multiple connections

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Russell Coker wrote:
>
> > I would like to transfer several files at a time to enable usable throughput
> > through slow web caches.  Is there any way this can be done?  If not can this
> > feature be added?
>
> If I recall it isn't too hard, but it isn't there specificly to prevent
> yahoos on 'fast' links from tanking our archive servers.

A different possibility is to have apt spread connections across many servers
when the same file is available from multiple servers. It doesn't do that now
does it? I think it just uses the first one and uses multiple servers only in
the sense that it picks the most recent file if different versions are
available?

> As much as I hate saying it, if you are behind a poor web cache or have an
> ISP that QOS's HTTP then you should probably use ftp..

I found I have the same problem now (sympatico.ca has an incorrectly
configured and terribly slow web cache) so I'm using ftp as well.

--
greg