Re: X and runlevels

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 11:01:28AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
>  > and sent patches to XFree86 a long time ago, but the patch was
>  > ignored, and Dirk Hohndel basically told me I was an idiot for
>  > doing so, because it might unexpectedly terminate the server in the
>  > quite common case of four X session logins in a row that averaged
>  > less than 6 seconds each...
>
>  Huh all right.  I don't understand what you/he meant by that, but the
>  code that was patched (the xdm shipped with 3.3.2) was broken.

No it wasn't.  After I started shipping our xdm packages with those
resources switched on our problems with "xdm loops forever and I can't log
in as root on the console to turn it off" went away.  This is not because
everybody suddenly learned how to type CTRL-R; that would require reading
the manaual.

>  The patch worked based on the *number* of consecutive failures.  The
>  current code works based on the *time* between failures, and it's
>  rather agressive at that IMO.

I've seen a little bit of the current (4.0.1) behavior and I think it's
badly broken.  I haven't had time to examine it.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |     It doesn't matter what you are doing,
Debian GNU/Linux                |     emacs is always overkill.