Re: X and runlevels

    EB> it leaves the decision where it belongs with me.

Yeah. I think you're right about this. I just got a little confused
with my gpm problems, I guess.

    EB> if that is true (and your only removing SOME of the symlinks
    EB> not ALL of them)

In fact, now when I think about it, I realise that I used update-rc.d
to get rid of 'em. Sorry, I didn't know about that "feature" of
update-rc.d. In fact, I think it could be argued that the postinst
shouldn't recreate the links if the package was already installed. I
mean, if they have been removed, it must be for a reason, right?

But maybe a postinst script can't detect whether the package was
already installed in a clean way? I don't know...

    EB> also you mean that the symlinks are recreated, not just gpm
    EB> being restarted right?

I get both; and THIS is really annoying. It shouldn't be restarted if
it wasn't running already.

    EB> there was a bit of discussion on fixing this but i don't know
    EB> if its being worked on actively or not.

I hope it is. It's definitely a bug.