Re: gpm and X problem investigated

As the gpm maintainer I will try and stay polite and explain some
things.

<snip>
On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 07:46:51PM +0200, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
> I had the same problems when using the new defaults (-R ms3 and
> Intellimouse on /dev/gpmdata).

Can you please give specifics?

> Another nasty thing is that if you use the task-selection interface gpm
> is not installed by default and there is no way to add it manually to the
> package list.

Eww, I will have to get that corrected.

<snip>

Repeating in /ANY/ protocol except ms3/IntelliMouse is NOT an option, it
will not work with X4, the ONLY protocol which will work for gpm
repeating to X4 is ms3/IntelliMouse.

Raw is just screaming loudly for it to break, msc no longer works and
does not support the features of newer mice, there is exactly one
option, ms3/IntelliMouse.

Further having X and gpm try to coexist without repeating is also a
non-option, on some systems it breaks badly.

Thus, we have three possible choices.

1: gpm installed without X, no problems.

2: X installed without gpm, no mouse under console, but otherwise no
problems.

3: gpm and X installed with gpm repeating to X in the ms3/IntelliMouse
protocol.

There are no other options, these are the only configurations which will
work on all systems.

Zephaniah E. Hull.
(gpm maintainer)